Job Offering ~ Director of Christian Education
We are a progressive congregation in Cleveland Heights, Ohio. We seek to be a safe, nurturing place to experience spiritual growth and work for change as part of a supportive inclusive community. We believe that God is Love, that each and every person is a beloved child of God, and that following Jesus Christ is the best way for us to share that Love with others and ourselves.
We are committed to diversity and a More Light Congregation. Our mission is focused on racial integration and inclusion. We focus on the balance between justice and charity and are committed to both.
Description: The Director of Christian Education will work with the Ministry of Family, Youth and Children (FYC) to oversee our Christian education programs. This position will report to the Co-Pastors and ultimately to Session through its Personnel Committee. This position is a full-time exempt position.
Nursery (Infants/children birth to age 2)
● Supervise and schedule nursery staff care of infants and toddlers on Sunday mornings and special events/programs
● Schedule parent support of nursery
Pre-School Program (Children ages 3-5)
● Oversee planning and execution of Godly Play curriculum for 3-5-year olds
● Organize, order and manage materials, including snacks, for lessons and set up classroom
Pathways Program (School age children grades 1-5)
● Coordinate monthly rotation of worship, Bible study and activities
● Oversee long-term curriculum evaluation and implementation for Pathways children
● Communicate with adult leaders in our congregation who work with children to manage volunteers and curriculum
Youth Education (Children in grades 6-12)
● Plan and lead middle school and high school youth groups
● Oversee long-term curriculum development for middle school and for senior high
● Organize volunteers and equip them with resources and training to teach weekly Christian education classes
● Equip adult leaders in our congregation who work with youth to organize monthly fellowship events/activities
● Engage in outreach to the community
● Participate in weekly staff meeting
● Provide communication and information to the church office for congregational distribution
● Communicate with families, youth and staff regarding programming and activities, including creating and posting signage for programs
● Collaborate with other local Presbyterian churches for mission, fellowship and educational opportunities
● Conduct teacher training
● Implement our Child and Youth Protection Policy and conduct Child Protection Policy
Training for volunteers
● Coordinate seasonal programming with the Music Director
● Assist with Family Christmas Eve service with program staff
● Collaborate with FYC ministry members to manage our Children’s Library
Qualifications, Gifts and Skills:
● Be a committed Christian with a passion for Christian Education
● Have a deep love for children of all ages, and be comfortable with a progressive, inclusive and diverse congregation
● Have sufficient training and experience to nurture our families, children and youth
● Be committed to building a strong volunteer base, and able to work collaboratively, effectively, and confidentially with families, church members, pastors, and church staff
Preferred education: Certificate of Christian Education or similar certificate; Bachelor’s degree education, child development, ministry, or theology
Hours of Employment: Full time exempt. Attendance on Sundays is required
Compensation: We offer a competitive compensation and benefits package
Contact: Email cover letter, resume, and names/contact information of three references to DCE Search Committee
A background check paid for by Forest Hill Church is a condition of employment.
Forest Hill Church, Presbyterian is an equal opportunity employer.