Job Offering ~ Interim Director of Music
The Interim Director of Music will collaborate with the Co-Pastors and the Ministry of Worship to develop and lead the worship music consistent with the mission and core values of the church. The position reports to the Co-Pastors and ultimately to Session through its Personnel Committee.
This is a part-time exempt position requiring 15 – 20 hours per week during the summer and 20 – 30 hours per week beginning in the fall.
We are a progressive congregation in Cleveland Heights, Ohio. We seek to be a safe, nurturing place to experience spiritual growth and work for change as part of a supportive inclusive community. We believe that God is Love, that each and every person is a beloved child of God, and that following Jesus Christ is the best way for us to share that Love with others and ourselves.
Forest Hill Church is committed to diversity. We are a More Light Congregation. Our mission is focused on racial integration and inclusion. We focus on the balance between justice and charity and are committed to both.
- Provide music at each Sunday morning worship service, and any special worship services. Worship services are normally at 10am June through August and 11am from September through May.
- Rehearse and lead the Chancel Choir in May, and again in the fall. The Chancel Choir is primarily an adult choir, which normally sings at Sunday morning worship services.
- Rehearse and lead the Summer Choir for at least a half hour before each Sunday morning service during June through August. The Summer Choir is a much more informal choir – participation varies from week to week, and the only rehearsal is right before Sunday service, so the music is less challenging. Musical ensembles are also welcome for any of these services.
- Participate in the creative planning of the Sunday worship and any special services with the Co-Pastors and the Ministry of Worship.
- Select choral (and instrumental) music appropriate to each service’s theme in collaboration with the co-pastors and the Ministry of Worship. Report these selections to the church office at least one week in advance of the service, for inclusion in bulletin.
- Communicate regularly and work collaboratively with the Co-Pastors and staff.
- Participate in regularly scheduled staff meetings and meet with the Ministry of Worship upon request.
- Maintain the church’s pipe organ, pianos, other musical instruments, sheet music, and choir robes within the budget provided.
- Other duties, as needed.
Qualifications, Gifts and Skills:
- Excellent musical skills, including keyboard.
- Familiarity with a wide and diverse range of sacred music.
- Ability to inspire, lead, direct, teach, organize, and coordinate musicians.
- Good interpersonal skills, working collaboratively with the staff and congregation.
- Dependable, responsible, self-motivated and creative.
- Have a sense of humor and positive attitude.
- Bachelor’s degree in Music preferred.
- Five years of experience in a church-related setting preferred.
- Ability to play the pipe organ is a plus, but not essential.
- Experience with live streaming worship services preferred.
- Maintain the excellence of FHC’s music program.
- Direct the music program as an integral part of our ministry, reflecting the mission and core values of FHC.
- Incorporate and build the gifts of choir participants in the music program.
- Work towards church growth through providing ample opportunities for congregants to build, maintain and cherish relationships formed in choirs.
- Respect and maintain confidentiality and privacy of personal information
- Be flexible and adaptable.
- Be knowledgeable about and comply with FHC policies.
- Respond to emails, postal mail, phone calls, etc. within a reasonable timeframe.
Salary Range: Commensurate with experience
A background check paid for by Forest Hill Church is a condition of employment.
Application (with resume) may be sent to:
Forest Hill Church Interim Music Director Search Committee
3031 Monticello Blvd.
Cleveland Heights, OH 44118
or preferably online at
Forest Hill Church, Presbyterian is an equal opportunity employer.