Sustainable Cleveland 2019 Project
The Cleveland Commitment:
A Promise for Our Sustainable Future
We see a green city on a blue lake:
- Where wind, sun and water are respectfully harvested for energy;
- Where the natural environment is intentionally restored and preserved;
- Where nothing goes to waste.
We see a bustling metropolis:
- Where children are healthy and well-educated;
- Where adults are engaged in challenging, rewarding and meaningful labor;
- Where everyone is appreciated for their contribution to our collective growth and happiness.
We see a thriving economy:
- Where wholesome food is locally grown;
- Where businesses adopt sustainable practices;
- Where personal drive and ingenuity are supported.
The Cleveland Promise reflects these truths:
- Our lake, rivers, and the land they define are the source of our physical, social and economic health;
- We have, over many years, led in response to great challenges by joining tradition and hard work with innovation to create practical solutions.
- Cleveland was at the center of the industrial revolution, and the time has come to embrace the sustainability revolution now unfolding before us.
- We can create, produce, and consume in a sustainable way;
- We can build a better future for our children, a future rich in happiness and a strong sense of community and a commitment to be faithful stewards for generations beyond our own.
The Cleveland Commitment embraces these goals:
- We will celebrate diversity and inclusiveness.
- We will eliminate poverty and racism.
- We will seek justice and promote safety.
- We will foster spirited engagement in local, national and global commerce and exchange of ideas.
- We will create vibrancy in the core community through regional cooperation, collaboration and interdependence.
- We will inspire innovation, reduce waste, and create a competitive environment.
- We will strengthen our economy, community and long-term security through sustainable practices that produce local food and energy, minimize waste, provide public transportation, promote community health, and support education for all.
PLEDGE: My Personal Commitment
I promise to be open to change and to challenge how I act, think and solve problems by
- Listening, teaching, and leading by example
- Asking for input from those not like me
- Seeking solutions beneficial to all
I promise to consider social and environmental consequences before choosing to buy something; I will become aware of the consequences of my purchases by learning
- what materials make up my purchases and belongings, and how they’re manufactured
- How they are transported to me
- Where they end up when I dispose of them
I promise to support a strong, sustainable, regional economy by
- Doing my part to strengthen our community’s school system
- Encouraging the recruitment and retention of sustainable businesses that invest in our workers
- Buying locally from socially responsible farmers, suppliers, manufacturers, and vendors
I promise to reduce my carbon footprint by
- Reducing, reusing, recycling, and composting, toward a goal of zero personal waste
- Making my home, school, and work place energy efficient
- Using energy-efficient modes of transportation
I promise to make a personal commitment to this compact by
- Making these goals a part of my daily life
- Celebrating small victories
- Continuously re-committing to ever-greater challenges
- Encouraging others to do the same